Sunday, 27 September 2015

Bruises Fade Eventually

"It never rains, it pours."

Life can throw a curve ball whenever it feels like it.  We are nine months into 2015 and at this point, it certainly hasn't felt like my year.

In April I was admitted to hospital with severe Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA). I was very ill.  I was told I should be dead, and that has stuck with me.  I have been a Type 1 Diabetic since I was 6 years old, and this was the first time, I think, that I realised just how serious this disease is.

After a five day stay, I was discharged from hospital and went back down to Guildford for a bit to rest and get my strength back.  I was tired and bruised from various cannulas that had been in my arms, and dealing with everything that had happened.  I'm still dealing with it, but the most important thing is that I am dealing with it.  I have had a very close eye kept on me by the hospital and my GP, and I am working hard to keep good control of my diabetes.

But, like I said, those curve balls can come at any time.

On September 8th, I saw something pop inside my left eye (a blood vessel at the back of my retina) and I haven't been able to see properly through that eye since.  It will clear eventually, and I am under the care of Moorfields Eye Hospital, who are treating both my eyes for proliferative diabetic retinopathy (oh yes, diabetes really is a horrible condition) It's making daily life interesting- my depth perception is out, so I'm finding stairs a bit difficult, and putting make-up on is a harder task than usual!  Watching TV and looking at social media etc is a bit tricky too, and I'm finding I have to put my hand over my left eye to focus properly.  It's frustrating, but it's just another thing that I'm having to live with at the moment.

With all of this comes stress, guilt and upset.  Feeling positive can be hard, but every day I'm waking up and giving it a damn good go.  I am back at work and so glad to have some really lovely people around me. This week was a good'un- I saw Florence & The Machine at Alexandra Palace with some work mates (oh how wonderful she was!) and attended the Things & Ink launch night of Miniature Ink ii where I saw some familiar faces and talked tattoos.  I ended my weekend with a stroll around The British Museum with my friend Ellie, after which we stuffed our faces with delicious pizza!

Long, hot baths and copious cups of tea definitely make things tattoo collection has grown significantly over the past couple of years.

A couple of weeks ago I saw my dear friend Richard.  We spent the day together in Central London and managed to see both the Exotic Butterflies and the Coral Reef exhibition at The Natural History Museum.  The butterflies were breathtaking and this Pale Owl decided to rest o my arm for about 10 minutes (I was thrilled)

I've got a few things to look forward to over the next couple of months (and Christmas is on the horizon) as well as more hospital check ups.  It is reassuring to know that I'm being well looked after by professionals as well as family and friends and I couldn't be more thankful of that.

Wonderlander x

No comments: